[plug] VNC on startup

Michael Collard quadfour at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 1 01:07:35 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 00:03 +0800, Brock Woolf wrote:

> > There is a program called x11vnc (part of LibVNCServer-0.6) which
> > connects to whatever display its told to then shares it. AFAIK its
> > different to mandrake's tool which is tied in with the X server. When I
> > want vnc, I ssh in then start it up, and can VNC from anywhere.
>
> I'm gonna go have a look at Xvnc as well as x11vnc and see how they
> stack up.
> By the way, i am interested in ssh but i'm not too sure of exactly how
> it works,
> would you be able to explain exactly how ssh tunneling works. And also
> what the
> requirements are (static/dynamic ip address, etc)
> If you know a good site for getting into ssh that would be cool also.

I was using Xvnc before x11vnc, there is just about no comparison,
x11vnc is just better IMHO. You can tunnel x11vnc through ssh if you
want (I don't), a tutorial for it is on the x11vnc homepage
(http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/).

Because I am on a dynamic IP too, I use a free dynamic DNS service,
homeip.net. With this I couldn't care what my IP is :).

Regards
--
Michael Collard <quadfour at iinet.net.au>