[plug] Recommended local mail access method

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Nov 1 14:10:27 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 13:51, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:
>
> > I've written a Python script for use at that POST that can read an mbox
> > or a maildir and upload it to the mail server. It's smart enough to
> > write out any messages that failed to upload to a separate mbox file. It
> > tells you what it's doing and gives you details on each failed message.
> > It supports importing a list of mailboxes, and supports IMAP proxy-auth
> > (so you can log in as the admin but essentially "be" a user). It also
> > corrects a few common problems with messages, such as incorrect use of
> > just LF or just CR instead of CRLF.
>
> FWIW the standard way of storing mail messages in Maildirs or mboxes
> on UNIX systems is with just LF.  IMAP and SMTP want CRLF-terminated
> lines though.

Thanks for the correction; I'd obviously misunderstood that.

It's clear that many IMAP clients /don't/ do this conversion, and Cyrus
rejects messages that aren't utterly RFC compliant. Frankly, I think it
has the right approach - I just wish mail clients would handle errors
from the IMAP server a little more intelligently.

--
Craig Ringer