[plug] Competition announcement (in USA)

Jacqueline McNally j-conversations at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Tue Nov 2 14:06:17 WST 2004

Alex Nordstrom wrote:

> In other words, it's so easy to get away with that a well-known name is
> no guarantee that information won't "leak". I don't see a reason to be
> so sceptical about these people in particular.

I'm not.

If they had said up front that they are abc co. and we have set up this
forum and we are offering prizes to those that help us with the content
that would be fine.

But I guess I'm accustomed to Linux websites with a community feel and
supported/run by people who are of the community, or at least who
introduce themselves and say "look what I/we're doing" :)

> Personally, I'm more concerned with the focus on quantity over quality.
> Also, they leave themselves wide open for trouble with such nebulous
> rules.

Then you haven't seen: http://www.nanowrimo.org/

NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is a contest where you write a
50,000 word novel from Nov 1 to midnight Nov 30, see:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/modules/cjaycontent/index.php?id=29

"Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over talent and craft, NaNoWriMo is
a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about
writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved."

Yes, we are getting a bit OT, but how I found out about this was because
I was contacted by an entrant of the contest who was going to be using
OpenOffice.org for his entry and learning OpenOffice.org in real time,
i.e while writing his 50,000 words.

Jacqueline