[plug] Competition announcement (in USA)

Alex Nordstrom alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au
Tue Nov 2 15:31:26 WST 2004

On Tuesday, 2 Nov 2004 14:06, Jacqueline McNally wrote:
> Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> But I guess I'm accustomed to Linux websites with a community feel
> and supported/run by people who are of the community, or at least who
> introduce themselves and say "look what I/we're doing" :)

Many of my friends run Linux-oriented companies and occasionally use the
resources available to them through those to drive side projects just
for fun, and this looks like a case of that. It's a common mistake by
such people to forget that people might be interested in knowing that
there is, in a sense, a business behind it, but that doesn't mean there
is malicious intent.

> > Personally, I'm more concerned with the focus on quantity over
> > quality. Also, they leave themselves wide open for trouble with
> > such nebulous rules.
>
> Then you haven't seen: http://www.nanowrimo.org/

The difference there is that the writing competition offers no prize of
monetary value, whereas this forum participation competition does (even
if the prize computer has worse specs than my two-year-old laptop).

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/