[plug] Maildir format

Marc marc-w at smlintl.com.au
Tue Nov 2 14:09:41 WST 2004

Timothy White wrote:

> I am a bit confused about the format of a Maildir. I know that because
> it is being accessed of IMAP it has extra folders but as to the layout I
> am a bit confused.
> My understanding of Maildir's was the following format with each mailbox
> a directory
> Maildir -->
>           |--> Inbox
>           |--> Sent
>           |--> MailingLists -->
>                                |--> PLUG
>                                |--> OT
>                                |--> OO.org
> etc...
> So that if I wanted to create a sub directory I could just create a new
> folder in the parent directory. So that would make PLUG =
> Maildir/MailingLists/PLUG.
> Instead it is Maildir/.MailingLists.PLUG
> This doesn't make sense to me. Especially as when I used Squirrelmail it
> displays as MailingLists.PLUG but when I was using mbox It would display
> as PLUG as a sub folder of MailingLists.
> Am I doing something wrong? Or is it the IMAP that is creating them like
> this. If so I should be able to run `maildirmake.dovecot
> ~/Maildir/.MailingLists/.PLUG` and it should work how I want it?
> Thanks
> Tim

My understanding Tim is that if you use squirrelmail create a subfolder then
under the folders tab or link in squirrelmail you can subscribe to the
folder which would work.  In regards to the mailing list my understanding
would be that it would enter the inbox and you would have to shift it
across unless you have script that does this automatically for you.

HTH

Marc