[plug] bash the curious

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed Nov 3 17:05:20 WST 2004

I just started using tabbed windows in gnome-terminal after all these
years.  When i stuffed up and type ALT-3 instead of ALT-2 bash offered

(arg: 3)

pressing more numbers would add to the arg:

(arg: 3123)

Then whatever I press next that is non numerical gets printed on the
prompt 3123 times.  Great.

So now I know bash does this, what use does it have and does this
feature do anything more crafty to make it seem more useful?

I guess if iiNet ever renamed themselves to iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiNet
you'd get some mileage out of:  pon ALT-20iNet  >:P

Lastly, by what name would one find this feature in the bash man page?

Ryan