[plug] [OT] Looking for broadband

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 10:22:11 WST 2004

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 10:01:04 +0800, Timothy White <weirdo at tigris.org> wrote:
> I am looking at getting broadband/ADSL. As the gateway is going to be
> Linux it will need to be Linux friendly (Modem, protocol...)
*shrug* most modems will work fine, just go for "Ethernet modems" not USB...

> If anybody can recommend an ISP and Plan that matches the following
> criteria then please tell me.
Westnet :-D

> Thanks
> Tim
> * 256/xx with Shaping (No less than 64kbs, not like Optus who shapes to
> lower than dialup speed)
http://www.westnet.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/
 Speed is reduced to 72 kbps once the Monthly Allowance is reached.
Once you reach 120% of your monthly download allowance your connection
will be shaped further to 33 kbps Shaping provides full access to the
Internet at a reduced speed of your ADSL service. Please note that
both WestNet Neighbourhood traffic & uploaded data are not charged for
or affected by shaping and will continue at full speed. Alternatively,
you can choose to pay $10 per GB for excess downloads and access the
Internet at full speed.

> * Free WAIX (So I can keep all the Debian boxes up to date)
Westnet :-D

> * Cheap which means a relatively low Cap
Free Connection ATM with Westnet :-D

> * Provides Minimum of 5 email address
Westnet
6 Free Email Addresses
An email address for all the family

> * Doesn't block ports
They don't normally, but have said that it might happen, but are 100%
willing to unblock on request for each user that requests.

Go Westnet.. Oh and if you mention uh.. Linux IT (I think its them can
someone else confirm or deny?) when you sign up then PLUG gets a
kickback... (for helping run stuff like "spark")

--
" So let us then try to climb the mountain, not by stepping on what is
below us, but to pull us up at what is above us, for my part at the