[plug] MDK 10.1Comm. USB/Mouse Woes..

Muskie Teh Otterboi muskieratboi at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 7 19:36:07 WST 2004

Timothy White wrote:

> Muskie Teh Otterboi wrote:
>
>> Basically, my problem is that MDK simply refuses to acknowledge my MS
>> USB Wheel Mouse Optical
>

> ... Snip ...
>
>> but I'm just wondering why the heck Mandrake's having Problems with
>> my Mobo.. it's an Nforce2 chipset, BTW.
>>
>> Strangely, Knoppix 3.6 (Thankyou, Atomic Mag!) Makes my mouse work
>> perfectly, But produces yet another flaw: X Autodetects my Monitor
>> V/H Rates wrong and when it initialises, the Screen is B0rked.
>

> Read the knoppix-cheatcodes for some boot time settings
> e.g. 'knoppix wheelmouse xvrefresh=60 xhrefresh=80'
>
> which will give you a 60Hz Vertical refresh and 80kHz Horizontal
> Refresh. If that still doesn't work (even after playing with the
> numbers) then boot with
>
> 'knoppix wheelmouse 2'
>
> which will give you no X but will allow you to try and find out what
> your mouse is and what drivers you need.
> BTW, if you can get knoppix to boot with X then why not install it as
> it is basically Debian Testing with some unofficial but publicly
> available packages.
>
>> You know, for some strange reason, i've had But ONE single problem
>> with linux, whatever distribution it decided to be (Debian wouldn't
>> start X,
>

> If you have a fairly new graphics card then you probably will have to
> get your hands dirty unless you don't mind a plain VGA. This probably
> shouldn't have happened though, when Debian installs it asks questions
> about card and monitor and in my experience it usually Just Works even
> if not optimally. Try getting the settings from Knoppix or Mandrake.
> Do you have a rare/odd/extremely new graphics card or monitor?
> Tim

1: I prefer Mandrake. Much Nicer people around the IRC channels :P
2: My Videocard is just a Plain ol' Radeon 9100. Linux drivers for both
NForce2 Chipset Mobos and Radeons are available at their respective
sites. I have full 3d Accelleration (I play a mean UT2k4) under
Mandrake, its just that I can't get my Mouse to work! XD

Muskie