[plug] MDK 10.1Comm. USB/Mouse Woes..

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Sun Nov 7 09:05:22 WST 2004

Muskie Teh Otterboi wrote:

> Basically, my problem is that MDK simply refuses to acknowledge my MS
> USB Wheel Mouse Optical

... Snip ...

> but I'm just wondering why the heck Mandrake's having Problems with my
> Mobo.. it's an Nforce2 chipset, BTW.
>
> Strangely, Knoppix 3.6 (Thankyou, Atomic Mag!) Makes my mouse work
> perfectly, But produces yet another flaw: X Autodetects my Monitor V/H
> Rates wrong and when it initialises, the Screen is B0rked.

Read the knoppix-cheatcodes for some boot time settings
e.g. 'knoppix wheelmouse xvrefresh=60 xhrefresh=80'

which will give you a 60Hz Vertical refresh and 80kHz Horizontal
Refresh. If that still doesn't work (even after playing with the
numbers) then boot with

'knoppix wheelmouse 2'

which will give you no X but will allow you to try and find out what
your mouse is and what drivers you need.
BTW, if you can get knoppix to boot with X then why not install it as it
is basically Debian Testing with some unofficial but publicly available
packages.

> You know, for some strange reason, i've had But ONE single problem
> with linux, whatever distribution it decided to be (Debian wouldn't
> start X,

If you have a fairly new graphics card then you probably will have to
get your hands dirty unless you don't mind a plain VGA. This probably
shouldn't have happened though, when Debian installs it asks questions
about card and monitor and in my experience it usually Just Works even
if not optimally. Try getting the settings from Knoppix or Mandrake. Do
you have a rare/odd/extremely new graphics card or monitor?
Tim

--
Tim White
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net