[plug] Debian install age

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sun Nov 7 21:44:23 WST 2004

Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 04:57:18PM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
>
>>Ok, a bag of boiled sweeties to the person who can identify the version
>>this laptop originally started with.
>>
>>bklaptop:/boot>ls -la
>>-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  715260 May 19  1999 vmlinuz-2.0.36
>

> It's old enough to be hamm, but hamm didn't ship with 2.0.36 (2.0.34
> was the installed version). slink on the other hand shipped with
> kernel versions from 2.0.33 through to 2.0.38. So my bet is on slink :)

It was actually Hamm. IIRC it was the last time I upgraded a distribution kernel. From then on I
have strictly been a compile-your-own devotee.

If I look hard enough, in a box hiding under a workbench buried under a whole pile of crap in a
granny flat somewhere in Dianella about 9000km away I'll find my original Debian Hamm cds :p)
I remember downloading those cd images over a 28.8k dialup link to Omen. Took the best part of a week.

I'm struggling to recall, but I'm pretty sure my first ever install was Debian Bo back somewhere
late 97. (That box is still running 2.0.29 and is running an early version of SAMBA as a printer
server!)

Been a debhead ever since :p)

I did think about installing Mandrake once, but I got better.

Brad