[plug] Pop3 mail and SMTP mail, plus mysql

Quintin Lette qlette at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 06:19:35 WST 2004

Hi Joong,

You will need to install a mailserver first or configure the default
exim (I prefer postfix for ease of setup and administration)

apt-get install postfix

I would recommend reading a book / website on setting up postfix /
whatever mailserver you choose. Try google for "debian postfix howto"
postfix also has options for addins like antivirus and spam but I very
highly recommend getting the mail server itself working first. From my
experience mail admin would be high up there in hardest administrative
tasks.

I don't use pop3 (I am using courier-imap for mail which was pretty
much apt-get install courier-imap after I configured postfix to use
maildir)

I have found permissions on mysql broken by default and after installing mysql

apt-get install mysql-server

I can't remember the exact error it was a few weeks ago, but try

/etc/init.d/mysql restart

google for the exact error (copy paste) you will get a fix.

Cheers
Quintin