[plug] SME PC hardware linux supplier?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Nov 9 22:27:36 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 22:18, Michael Hunt wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 21:11, skribe wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 20:16, Brock Woolf wrote:
> >
> > > 1. (What I did) Buy an Apple iBook/iMac. The hardware is really fast and
> > > linux runs on the PPC RISC architecture.
> >
> > Is there a logical reason why any sane person would choose to do this?
>
> Sure. I consider myself sane and I did this :-)
>
> > What I mean by that is fork out the fat wad of cash
>
> Well it is not really 'a fat wad of cash'. One of the main reason's for
> going for an iBook was actually the issue of price. $1585 for a new
> iBook (education discount) was actually the cheapest notebook I could
> find. I'd expect to pay somewhere between $1700 to $2000 for a similar
> Intel notebook.

That's not bad. I can only get them slightly cheaper than that for a
Apple iBook 12" TFT 1GHz/256/30GB/COMBO.

Which one did you get?

I could imagine with a cheap intel laptop your going to have issues.
People call me up asking me to get them a cheap laptop and I tell them
to look elsewhere because I know the small markup I can charge them will
be lost ten times over fixing every little problem they have with it.

regards,

Chris