[plug] SME PC hardware linux supplier?

Alex Nordstrom alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au
Wed Nov 10 11:21:50 WST 2004

On Wednesday, 10 Nov 2004 09:08, Senectus . wrote:
> Its strange because I didn't think that would be such a big problem,
> but after doing some more research I've found that there isn't many
> vendors out there that _actually_ support their hardware with linux
> from the box.

Microsoft's practice of using their dominant position in the market as
leverage against vendors who wanted to do just that (and still supply
systems with MS Windows preinstalled) was of course one of the sticking
points in U.S. v. Microsoft.

Given that what is probably the most blatant violation of the Sherman
Act in history was settled out of court, it would hardly be surprising
if this remains standard practice in the U.S. and elsewhere (although I
would expect them to be a bit more covert these days).

Even if they were to change their modus operandi, expect the vendor
market to remain influenced by the negative reinforcement for quite
some time. It appear businesses, too, suffer the Stockholm syndrome.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/