[plug] SME PC hardware linux supplier?

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Nov 10 12:36:11 WST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:21:50 +0800 Alex Nordstrom <alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 10 Nov 2004 09:08, Senectus . wrote:
> > Its strange because I didn't think that would be such a big problem,
> > but after doing some more research I've found that there isn't many
> > vendors out there that _actually_ support their hardware with linux
> > from the box.
>
> Microsoft's practice of using their dominant position in the market as
> leverage against vendors who wanted to do just that (and still supply
> systems with MS Windows preinstalled) was of course one of the sticking
> points in U.S. v. Microsoft.
[...]
> Even if they were to change their modus operandi, expect the vendor
> market to remain influenced by the negative reinforcement for quite
> some time. It appear businesses, too, suffer the Stockholm syndrome.

Hi Alex

One other point is that Microsft and the hardware manufacturers are
in a symbiotic relationship.

Microsoft codes on the basis of faster hardware making the bloat irrelevant.
Hardware vendors rely on the bloat to supply more hardware. Microsoft are
happy to find new apps to eat cycles since it helps the vendoers. And around ..

Why would hardware manufacturers want to upset the gravy cart ? (to mix a
few metaphors :)

I don't know that the "ship with Windows" thing is necessarily a contractual
standover by Microsoft. The hardware manufacturers (and vendors) may silently
keep the game in play because they make money out of it. Returning to your
point, I don't think the reinforcement is necessarily negative.

If the world runs Linux the sudden decline in refresh cycle may kill off a
large number of the manufacturers that drive the hardware price down.

I don't think that would be a bad thing but Mr Balmer might find that hardware
prices rise and quality improves because people start expecting them to last
six years instead of three and the software is no longer a tri-annual hardware
upgrade stimulus.

Without Microsoft the planet would have a reduced toxic waste problem ..
in more ways than one.

But I can't be the only one to have said this. Strange thing is I googled and
"ship with Microsoft" type discussions are hard to find.

Hang on .. there's someone knocking at my door .. ;-)

cu
Harry

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/