[plug] SME PC hardware linux supplier?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Nov 10 23:02:12 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 22:21, James Devenish wrote:

> I have to admit that it took me a long time to grow out of the 250MHz
> range, and I am still often happy with sub-1GHz speeds. Despite being
> a "power user", it seems to take several years to for me to lose my
> affinity for outdated speeds.

Agreed. I'm happily typing this from an 800MHz PIII-M, and generally
find it more than fast enough. That said, I do need something _really_
fast available for a compile workstation, and like a fast box for
gaming. Having to wait an hour and and a half every time I change a core
header file _sucks_.

For general work, a 650MHz box does the trick fine for me (and, in fact,
that's what my laptop throttles down to normally, even when plugged into
the power). Even 300MHz would probably be fine - though a decent disk
and plenty of RAM is important to keep up with modern binary and
data-set sizes.

I'm a mixed GUI/command line user - most of my apps are GUI based, but
all my file management and text editing is command line / text console
based.

--
Craig Ringer