[plug] SME PC hardware linux supplier?

Craig Foster fostware at westnet.com.au
Thu Nov 11 00:18:33 WST 2004

<snip>
> But, like yesterday, I get a call from a young lady who is
> dropping off a 733MHz PIII or somesuch because "Well,
> everything is XP now so I_need_to_update" *Screams AAAAARGH
> silently* "Sure, drop it down" I say, "We'll be able to make
> use of it." My main 800Mz desktop sits at 99% idle when the
> mouse is stationary!
<snip>

Just have a look at todays games...
A newly released game requires a P4, 512MB memory, 3GB Hard Disk Space.
Then I sneaked a peek at a friends copy of Halo2. It's hell pretty, and it's
running on a ***Celeron*** 733 with 64MB RAM, and most of the data stays on
the DVD. Yep, the trusty old xbox which is getting old now, runs Halo2 fine.

If only game programmers would code to PC currently in most homes, not just
those ready to blow wads of cash.

Do'h! Just reminded myself of a workmate who bought a Sony SDM234 23"
widescreen LCD monitor. Lotsa wads of cash... Looks mighty purdy though ^_^

> *stops for breath* Ok, I feel better now :)
>
> Here's another rabid rant on why an OSS service model is the
> future (so I don't keep repeating myself):
> http://www.plug.org.au/archives/message/20020611.143503.48a9385c.html

CraigF.