Wasted clock cycles (was: Re: [plug] SME PC hardware linux supplier?)

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Nov 11 11:11:34 WST 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 01:05:29 +0800 Alex Nordstrom <alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 10 Nov 2004 21:48, Harry wrote:
> > This whole computer waste problem doesn't need bigger metal recyclers
> > it just needs more intelligence. But it _does_ threaten the economic
> > model that relies on building stuff to discard it periodically for
> > another one.
>
> Not the economic model, but certain business models.

Sorry, yes, business model.

> In fact, an
> economist would probably tell you that the current state of affairs as
> you outline it describes a point inside the production possibilities
> frontier, which implies there is inefficient allocation of resources.

Yes. The Natural Capitalism idea is that process waste must be considered
an unused resource. Nothing new there, just pitched to highlight profit
opportunities on a planet with diminishing natural resources but plenty
of people.

The audio looks to be up on the Background Briefing page again btw. The
Interface Carpets example picks up on Chris' idea that people cost too
much so it can't work.

Hunter Lovins was over in Perth around the WA Govt Sustainability Strategy
release and talked at the Octagon hosted by IEAust. She paused during her
talk so the ambient airconditioning whoosh became noticable and said
"That noise is waste" (in relation to another example of efficient, but
unconventional, pipe layout in a plant design). It returns to more creative
design (human mental exertion) and smart construction (less physical resources
in implementation and operation).

So consider applying some thought to a piece of code that saves a couple of
watts on millions of PCs. That piece of code can have a big impact.

I know, this breaks the steps for optimisation:
Step 1. Don't do it.
Step 2. Don't do it yet.

But as Cameron said, his laptop runs 6 hours on X OS and ~4 under Linux so
it's an opportunity to make OSS even better.

Yarp, yarp, yarp. I'll shutup now.

Harry

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/