[plug] [OT] Looking for broadband

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Thu Nov 11 14:49:39 WST 2004

Paul Arch wrote:

>Why does it make their business profile look unstable ? I just see it as an
>ever changing market, adapting their supply of broadband to an appropriate
>demand.  And most likely as a move to try and restrict users who put
>excessive demand on their network ( ie- leachers, warez etc . unlikely to be
>the case for people who hold ABNs )

It makes their business look like they do these loss-leading plans for
short periods of time to grab customers - and thats it - as they soon
backflip / change their plans / change their fees.  It may not change
the plans/fees of customers already signed up.. but IMHO its bad
business to flip flop around the place with your plans.  I mean one
minute they were abolishing plans.. then they reinstated them, and then
one plan had a 50% increase in price....

IMHO, I'd rather be with a company that provides full speed bandwidth
all the time when I'm paying for it and doesn't change their plans
constantly and backflip on poorly thought out changes.  I mean to me,
some of their plan changes they made and then backflipped on were
obviously bad moves considering their target market (i.e. lets face it -
unlimited plans = major leech magnet).  I mean TPG have been running an
ISP for yonks now... and they still can't seem to get plan changes right
first time?

TPG might be alright for some users, but the way I see it.. is that I'm
paying for 1.5Mbit ADSL.. and I expect to be able to download somewhere
near the maximum that line speed can do.. and I want to be able to game
with my 40-50ms pings (2500kms away from Perth too) without problems -
I've frequently seen gamers who play latency intolerant games (e.g. any
first-person shooter) complain about the latency they get with TPG,
particularly during peak periods.

BTW, anyone can register an ABN.  Its free and takes like 10-15 minutes
to do online and you have an ABN on the spot.

/ Ben