Wasted clock cycles (was: Re: [plug] SME PC hardware linux supplier?)

Michael Hunt michael at aussie.oddsocks.net
Thu Nov 11 20:56:40 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 12:01, Harry wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:25:54 +0800 Cameron Patrick <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:
>
> > Harry wrote:
> >
> > > But as Cameron said, his laptop runs 6 hours on X OS and ~4 under Linux so
> > > it's an opportunity to make OSS even better.
> >
> > I don't think so.  Since my laptop is Intel-based, it doesn't run very
> > well at all under OS X :-)  It does get ~4 hours under Linux though.
>
> Doh! That's right. The "lets niggle scribe cos we're all closet Mac users"
> thread got so long I lost who it was talked about battery life on their dual
> boot Mac.
>
> It was Michael Hunt who said of his iBook:
> "
> * Battery life. 6 hours under OS X. (I am trying to get it tweaked under
> Linux at the moment to get longer but usually get ~4hrs).
> "
>
> Harry *who should have been paying more attention*

Thanks for the correction. I have been able to get better battery life
by tweaking the internal fan. Under OS X it hardly comes on but on Linux
it came on after about 5 mins and stayed on. Unfortunately it is
difficult to extend battery life when you driver the hardware harder.
(i.e. doing kernel compiles under linux as opposed to playing itunes
under OS X). In the words of someone much more famous than me ...

I can only give her so much captain !!!!

Michael Hunt

Michael Hunt