[plug] Damned with praise?

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Thu Nov 11 21:20:15 WST 2004

Tom Cleary wrote:
> Is it me, or does this look like an "astroturf" FUD campaign?
>
> http://informationweek.linuxpipeline.com/51000220
>
> What is a guy who is commenting on FOSS Security tools doing with this
> in an article:-
>
> "When you download calendar, screensaver, calculator, or HTML editing
> freeware, you're wise to set your expectations low, and be pleasantly
> surprised if they are exceeded."
>
> Most of the security tools I know of aren't SUPPOSED to do any of that.

He is not saying they should.

You have taken this out of context!  You should have quoted the next paragraph as well.  The intent is clearly to say that while he does not expect much from most freeware, he always expects a lot from security software, free or otherwise.

A lot of good points to consider when getting software from *any* source are presented.

Jim