[plug] virtual drive

bob bob at fots.org.au
Fri Nov 12 12:07:58 WST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:05 am, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <200411120002.59775.bob at fots.org.au>
>
> on Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 12:02:59AM +0800, bob wrote:
> > Something I've wondered about and not been able to find an answer to
> > googling - Is it possible to mount an .iso writable?
>
> If you are referring to the ISO 9660 standard, I think it is not a
> rewritable format. You can 'amend' it by appending further sessions,
> but I think it was designed as a non-rewritable filesystem (i.e. for
> CD-R).

I was hoping that there were some utils to get around that fact... re-write
the directory listings etc and clean up the mess generally. If nothing else
something like this would certainly make maintaining such live CDs a bit
easier :).

> > ie you can take one of the "live CD" images and add your own set of
> > utils mearly by moving the files into the mounted iso (obviously
> > within the size constraints of the intended destination media).
>
> I think you would need to copy the contents to a different filesystem,
> make your changes there, and then create a new 9660-type image. Plenty
> of people on this list achieve what you're talking about, so hopefully
> there are descriptions in the list archives or presently forthcoming.

I'm sure there are resources I can google for on this subject if there is
nothing via the list.

Thanks for the reply anyway :).

--
A horse!  A horse!  My kingdom for a horse!
		-- Wm. Shakespeare, "Henry VI"