[plug] virtual drive

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Nov 12 08:05:38 WST 2004

In message <200411120002.59775.bob at fots.org.au>
on Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 12:02:59AM +0800, bob wrote:
> Something I've wondered about and not been able to find an answer to
> googling - Is it possible to mount an .iso writable?

If you are referring to the ISO 9660 standard, I think it is not a
rewritable format. You can 'amend' it by appending further sessions,
but I think it was designed as a non-rewritable filesystem (i.e. for
CD-R).

> ie you can take one of the "live CD" images and add your own set of
> utils mearly by moving the files into the mounted iso (obviously
> within the size constraints of the intended destination media).

I think you would need to copy the contents to a different filesystem,
make your changes there, and then create a new 9660-type image. Plenty
of people on this list achieve what you're talking about, so hopefully
there are descriptions in the list archives or presently forthcoming.