[plug] [OT] Changing refresh rate to something higher than 85Hz??

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Nov 14 20:03:23 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

> You say you have a 19" monitor and find 85Hz uncomfortable? If 62Hz
> is not uncomfortable for me, does that mean my brain is slow?

Quite possibly.  If your monitor is telling the truth about the
refresh rate it is running at, you should count yourself exceedingly
lucky.

I find <= 70 Hz to be eye-clawingly horrible to look at for more than
a few seconds, 75 Hz to be tolerable.  Having been used to using
primarily LCDs for the last month or so, I've found that I can now
notice flicker on monitors at 85 Hz which in the past have appeared to
be rock-solid.  My experience is also that larger mointors look worse
at lower refresh rates, e.g. 75 Hz on a 15" monitor doesn't seem as
bad as 75 Hz on a 19" monitor.

Cameron.