[plug] Restore

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Nov 15 09:40:47 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 09:03, Marc wrote:

> I have created data dumps as backups to a directory called /backup now I
> wanted to restore those files so I used the following command to get into
> the backup file so I can manually restore them in 'whatever' directory.
>
> #restore -i -A workdir -b 1024
> >restore

What tools did you use for your backups? Please provide any relevant
information such as what program you used, what command/script you used,
your distro and version, etc. (I'm getting _really_ sick of saying that.
Why do I have to?).

> Also in order to backup the datadumps onto cd do I have to make them into an
> iso?

It would be wise to do so. It's entirely possible to burn whatever data
you feel like to a CD - you can dump a tar file directly on it then
restore from it like a tape, for example, or you can write an ext2
filesystem to one. In general, though, it's just safer to use ISO9660
because that guarantees the CD will be readable on other computers.

> One last point I have read that ext3 has a filesize limit of 2Gig. If thats
> correct how do you as in people on the list get past this when backing up
> data since when I backup its already sitting at 1.7gig now?

Use any vaguely recent 2.4 kernel and glibc and that limit no longer
exists.

> Is it that you created multiple backup files then create one big iso?

What good does a >2gig ISO do you? Are you writing to a DVD or
something?

--
Craig Ringer