[plug] Restore

Marc marc-w at smlintl.com.au
Mon Nov 15 11:20:42 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 10:36, Marc wrote:
>
>> Fedora Core 3 and its webmin.  The script itself.  The kernel is 2.6.9.
>>
>> Sorry I forgot to say it. My apologies for that.
>
> I'm afraid that doesn't tell me much. What tool does the script use for
> making the backups? Does it just copy the files somewhere? Does it use
> tar? cpio? pax? Are you using a webmin module for an add-in backup
> system? What webmin module _are_ you using?

Yeah the webmin module gives you the option of whether to use tar as the
medium for backup.  There isn't a lot of information unfortunatley.  I'm
using the dump and restore part at the moment.  This is what gets generated
throught the help.

This module allows you to backup and restore entire filesystems using the
dump and restore family of commands. Filesystem backups are normally made
to tape, but can also be saved to a file on another filesystem if you do
not have a tape drive.

On some operating systems, the tar command will be used instead when backing
up a filesystem that does not have a native dump. For example, NFS, FAT and
Reiserfs have no filesystem-specific backup commands. The tar format cannot
store certain advanced file information, such as ACLs, EXT and XFS
attributes, so it is preferable to use the dump format where possible.

The main page of the module contains a list of configured backups (if any),
a button for adding a new backup and a button for restoring a backup of
some filesystem type.

HTH thanks for the help to

Marc