[plug] [OT] network hub problem (Hoping 4 Linux Solution)

Craig Foster fostware at westnet.com.au
Thu Nov 18 20:16:55 WST 2004

Do'h!

> When I have a computer talking from the switch to the hub I
> get lots of collisions as the fast computer floods the slow
> hub. How can I get it to 'be nice' to the slower computers?
> Same happens when I have 10Mbs HD on the switch.
> Is there a Linux solution? I can't upgrade the hub as it is
> an extension to the network for some slow, ageing computers.

> Tim

Do you have a 10Mb network card?

If so, you can give the 10Mb network a different subnet, and as long as it's
TCPIP, you can still work if your linux box acts as a/the router/firewall...
We usually do this for "public" PCs at customer where security is paramount,
and the crappy old PCs plentiful :P

CraigF.