[plug] IMAP mail recovery operation

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Thu Nov 18 21:52:12 WST 2004

By accident Thunderbird just decided to remove some of my mail[1] on my
IMAP account. I have access to the IMAP server and as a precaution I
have a procmail recipe that sends ALL mail to a backup Maildir before
processing (and leaves it there for later cleaning.)

This means that I have the mail somewhere in the Maildir with 900 messages.

Most of my mass mail is filtered out into folders (PLUG, OT, Mailing
lists...) but the rest of it goes to my Inbox and after reading it I put
some of it in a subfolder for archival purposes and move others to other
folders.

What I want to do is run all the mail in my backup Maildir through a
script that filters out all messages that would normally be handled by a
filter in my procmailrc, and then 'deliver' the rest to my account IF
they aren't a duplicate of emails already in my Inbox.

(It would be nice if it could also find out if the message exists
elsewhere in my Maildir and skip it or if it is spam then it should move
it to my spam Maildir.)

A quick look around my Maildir shows that the messages in my backup have
similar names to those in my INBOX.

e.g. The following files are the same email
./cur/1100763899.32093_1.linmedia:2,Sa
./.backup/new/1100763899.32093_0.linmedia

This should make it easier to do what I want then.
Any Ideas how I could get this to work?

Thanks
Tim

[1] I think there is a bug, I moved some mail from a IMAP folder to a
folder on Local Folders (stupid mouse) and on clicking undo it removed
it from the Local Folders WITHOUT restoring it on the server
--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net