[plug] [OT] SQL column splitting

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Nov 19 15:38:10 WST 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, James Devenish wrote:

> Does anyone know of a non-horrific way to do this fairly portably in
> SQL? My mind seems to be blank on the matter at the moment.

Two questions appear pertinent here.

The first, is what is the backend? What is the RDBMS that is used to
store the existing data? The syntax and the functionality vary, between
the different RDBMS's, and, for example,  what may work with PostgreSQL,
might not work with MySQL, or, may need to use different syntax.

The second, is what is the need for "fairly portably in SQL"? Are you
looking at using ODBC, with something like an MS-Access frontend?
Generally, each SQL version has its limitations and variations (eg,
string and date handling differences between MS-Access and Oracle), so,
depending on the details, the "portability" may be an unnecessary
whistles and bells item (why put in the extra effort and complexity, to
use strictly generic SQL, when what you are running, may have only one
version of SQL (eg, MS-Access SQL, PL/SQL, or PgSQL, that has
functionality that may do the job with less effort and complexity, than
trying to write SQL code that will run on any RDBMS platform) ?).

For both of my points above, to me, the query above, is a bit like
saying "how can I do this using a 3GL?". Each 3GL has different syntax
and functionality (although, FORTAN-90 and later, is more like C, than
FORTRAN-77 and FORTRAN-4). Due to the variations in functionality (apart
from the syntactical differences), the solution design may need to
differ, according to the platform.

Those are my thoughts about the first sentence above, that refers to
"fairly portable" SQL.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale