[plug] [OT] SQL column splitting

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Nov 19 16:12:30 WST 2004

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0411191525160.12951-100000 at BBRH73.busby.net>
on Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 03:38:10PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> Those are my thoughts about the first sentence above, that refers to
> "fairly portable" SQL.

If it is not obvious that there would be a fairly portable SQL solution,
then perhaps the answer to my question is: it is not likely that there
is any fairly portable SQL solution. I think that such a deduction would
essentially close the matter in as far as what was originally asked.

I had originally thought this task would elicit an answer along the
lines of either "anybody who's trained in SQL would recognise this as
the 'X' problem, and the 'Y' technique is a common solution" or "this is
a frequently asked question and the answer is that it can't be done".