[plug] Email help

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Nov 20 01:05:16 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 00:38, Joong Cho wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have downloaded dbmail and other mail server programs, but I can't get
> started on what to configure and how to make my mail server work.
>
> Any hints, anyone?

First configure your MTA (eg Postfix) and ensure it works correctly for
LAN and Internet mail deliveries. Make sure it correctly receives mail
and delivers it to a local mailbox (MBOX or MailDir).

Once you know that's working, /then/ look at configuring a "mail server"
- by which I assume you mean a POP3/IMAP server.

When it comes to server selection, I've heard Dovecot works well and is
fairly idiot proof. Other options include courier and uw (neither of
which I like at all, but they do work well for many people and are
simple) and Cyrus IMAPd (definitely not recommended for your purposes).
Dovecot also has the advantage that several people on this list use it,
so other folks will be familar with it.

I hadn't even heard of dbmail until you mentioned it. Looking at its
website, I strongly suspect you're nuking a fly - it doesn't look like
it's meant for small, simple mail installations.

--
Craig Ringer