Dovecot (Was Re: [plug] Email help)

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Sat Nov 20 07:48:18 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 00:38, Joong Cho wrote:
>
>>Hey,
>>
>>I have downloaded dbmail and other mail server programs, but I can't get
>>started on what to configure and how to make my mail server work.
>>
>>Any hints, anyone?
>

> First configure your MTA (eg Postfix) and ensure it works correctly for
> LAN and Internet mail deliveries. Make sure it correctly receives mail
> and delivers it to a local mailbox (MBOX or MailDir).
>
> Once you know that's working, /then/ look at configuring a "mail server"
> - by which I assume you mean a POP3/IMAP server.
>
> When it comes to server selection, I've heard Dovecot works well and is
> fairly idiot proof. Other options include courier and uw (neither of
> which I like at all, but they do work well for many people and are
> simple) and Cyrus IMAPd (definitely not recommended for your purposes).
> Dovecot also has the advantage that several people on this list use it,
> so other folks will be familar with it.

Dovecot was suggested to me by some list members and its what I now use.
I found it a joy to setup compared with other POP/IMAP servers as there
was little mucking around. I don't know how it will scale to larger
systems or if it can run off a sql database (it may though.) If your
system is for local access (and remote access) and all your users are
valid local users or valid local pop users (using linuxconf) then I
believe you should find it fairly easy to set up.

Tim
--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net