[plug] Maildir and FTP

Rob Davies rob at rjdarts.com
Tue Nov 23 23:21:20 WST 2004

On 23 Nov 2004, at 8:53pm, Joong Cho wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've searched high and low on the www.postfix.org website and I still
> can't find how you can deliver to your local mail directory. Can you
> give me any hints? Also, how do you configure dovecot as your mail
> server? Do you uncomment every command in the dovecot.conf file?

If running a Debian box try this site, very good How To!

http://www.lxtreme.nl/index.pl/docs/linux/dovecot_postfix_pam

> Also, with my FTP server, I can connect to the ftp.joongcho.com site
> using a different computer in a different place, for eg at my work,
> but when I use my other computer, different from my linux computer, I
> can't login and I always get the 530 login error message. Also, why
> does it use VxWorks 4.2 when I login using CuteFTP when I run proftpd
> server on my linux server? That's confusing. I assume this problem is
> very similar to the problem that I'm having with my website, accessing
> my domain names on the computer running Windows XP.

I would advise against external FTP server unless extremely necessary,
(ssh -sftp), internal behind a firewall OK. If it is necessary have a
look at this program instead of proftpd, www.pureftpd.org again
especially if running a Debian box, also look into SSL/TLS running this
server.

> And, are there any mysql experts out there. everytime I try to login
> as mysqladmin -u root, I get the Access Denied error message. I can't
> create any databases.

Nope, but insight into postgresql with above link.

> I hope that's all understandable for you guys. :D

Yes it is understandable with many reasons why each problem is
happening, so I have supplied alternatives with options and relative
information hopefully this will lead you into path of self discovery
and success? Google is very much your friend, and in most cases each
distribution will pretty much setup each package in a workable
condition, modify diligently.

http://wiki.dovecot.org/
http://www.postfix.org/docs.html

HTH

Cheers!
Rob Davies
rob at rjdarts.com

"It is the world which makes known to us our belonging to a
subject-communtiy, especially the existence in the world of the
manufactured objects." Sartre.