[plug] Maildir and FTP

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Nov 24 05:47:40 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 20:53, Joong Cho wrote:

> I've searched high and low on the www.postfix.org website and I still can't
> find how you can deliver to your local mail directory. Can you give me any
> hints?

MBOX delivery to /var/spool/mail is the default - what postfix does
unless you tell it to do something else.

> Also, with my FTP server, I can connect to the ftp.joongcho.com site using a
> different computer in a different place, for eg at my work, but when I use
> my other computer, different from my linux computer

Note for others - that other computer is on the same LAN as his "linux
computer" and behind a DSL modem/router doing NAT.

> I can't login and I
> always get the 530 login error message. Also, why does it use VxWorks 4.2
> when I login using CuteFTP when I run proftpd server on my linux server?

Because you're almost certainly actually connecting to your DSL router,
not your "linux computer", since your domain's A record points to your
external IP - handled by the the DSL router. Let me tell you one more
time - YOUR MODEM WILL NOT PORT FORWARD TRAFFIC COMING FROM HOSTS INSIDE
YOUR NETWORK.

You'll need to look at setting up split-brain DNS, getting a smarter
firewall/router, using hosts file hacks, or just using a different name
to access the machine from inside your network.

> That's confusing. I assume this problem is very similar to the problem that
> I'm having with my website, accessing my domain names on the computer
> running Windows XP.

Correct. You are strongly advised to read up on 'network address
translation' or NAT, and on port forwarding.

--
Craig Ringer