[plug] Maildir and FTP

Quintin Lette qlette at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 06:01:21 WST 2004

Hi,

As far as the ftp internally is concerned it seems you may be ftp'ing
your modem.

Try using the internal ip of the server.

I assume you are using NAT, and forwarding port 21 from your
modem/router (this only happens from the external network) to your
server. From the internal network if you try to access either of the
modems addresses on port 21 the modem/router will respond. If you
don't have an internal dns server that gives you the internal ip for
the server, then you will be getting your public ip (router's external
ip) when trying to resolve this domain, and hence your router will
respond when you try to access it. This will happen with all
protocols.

Your options to get around this are setup your own dns server, add the
server name in your host file on your other internal computers, or
only connect using ip addresses from the internal network.

On Linux the hosts file is:
/etc/hosts
On Windows 2K/XP it is:
%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts