[plug] Prefered Music Format

Alex Nordstrom alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au
Sat Nov 27 19:14:33 WST 2004

http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#transcode

http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#sound

> What should I use then? I mainly listen to the music on my computer
> or jukebox with xmms, madplay, or mpg321. I can easily change over to
> ogg's but is the increased file size worth it?

Ogg Vorbis will give you smaller files for comparable quality, not
larger (unless the quality is higher). This will not apply if the input
is MP3 compressed.

You should encode as Ogg Vorbis when ripping. Existing MP3s are best
kept as such.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/