[plug] Linux Rising

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 07:06:42 WST 2004

Hey Christopher,

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:52:42 +0800, chris
<chriswhittaker at smartchat.net.au> wrote:
> >When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> >than "Re: Contents of plug digest..."
> >

> >Today's Topics:
> >
> >   1. usb printer (rpowersau at gmail.com)

Is this an issue fo you too?

> Can anybody help me out please , is there any where in Perth I can get
> hands on training/coaching in using Linux Fedora Core2 ( soon to be 3),

None to my knowledge for Fedora Core, but the rhce courses are based
on Redhat Enterprise Linux and include many if the things you
mentioned.

> I have the usual O'Reillys ,Wrox and RedHat for dummies manuals but have
> got to the point that I can't comprehend the instruction sufficiently to
> implement it however I know that if I am shown it will all fall into place.
>
> I would like to learn the more intermediate skills such as compiling
> kernels ,finding how to fix broken packages etc without using
> synaptic,manage and create databases.

Intermediate to advanced books all cover this(any Redhat or Novell
cert should do it) - also look at http://www.tldp.org/ for guides on
more advanced topics.

I learned a lot from installing a source based distribution(Source
Mage, LFS, Gentoo(?)), and tried to make it look and feel like a
redhat installation. Its only then that you realize how much
customization is done by the bigger distros.

> I hope you understand where I am coming from, from one year of computer
> ownership I have grown from a 43 year old technophobe to a confident
> Linux user .

Congratulations :)

> What I currently have is basically a top grade multimedia platform with
> several nice additional applications for day to day stuff , what I want
> to do is really harness the power of my computer and grow as a Linux user.

Sounds like your well on your way.

Cheers

Carl Gherardi