[plug] Crashed Linux Installation

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Tue Nov 30 21:52:03 WST 2004

The official GRUB uninstall info is here
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-legacy-faq.en.html#q12

You will probably want to try some of the stuff here
http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread28242-1.html

(Useful Extracts from above site)
A possible reason that fdisk /mbr doesn't work
---
> Check that your windows partition is set to ACTIVE.
>
> I tried the "fdisk /mbr" & still had Grub showing also.
> After checking fdisk again, I noticed the /mbr option had removed the ACTIVE flag.
> This seemed to have done the trick for me.
---
Specifically if you can't remove grub
--
> alternatively, you can use grub to help you to boot your windows by directing the GRUB to load your NTLoader.
>
> grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> grub> makeactive
> grub> chainloader +1
> grub> boot
>
> Assuming your Windows is in HDD 1 and partition 1.

Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net
Fingerprint: 04C2 9682 B7B2 3006 009D  A9F3 067E EDCD 602E 944D
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me
spread!