[plug] Crashed Linux Installation

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Tue Nov 30 21:18:23 WST 2004

Greetings to all,

I have just had a linux install go belly up !!!!

I was reinstalling Linux on a dual boot machine with Windows.

Grub misbehaved and wrecked the MBR on the primary  master.

In an effort to cleanup the mess I have deleted all the linux partitions.

But cannot remove the last remnants of Grub from the boot sector.

I have tried 'fdisk /mbr' and sys c: from a dos boot disk - but no luck at all.

When I try to boot the system - it goes through the normal bios display - but when it gets to read
the boot sector it just sits there flashing "Grub" as a prompt with no error message - but the
machine is locked up and will only respond to a hard reset.

Any Ideas before I erase the whole drive and go fishing !!!!

I would like to recover the system and the 30 Gb of files on it.

Not a good day, just upgraded to new HDD, 128 Mb Radeon 9200 SE and a Billion 5100 and I can't play
with it.

Will also need some advice to get X working on the Radeon, when I first tried all I could get was
the command line fashing on and off for 1 Minute every 5 minutes. No fun in that either.

Hmmm, maybe I will go fishing instead.

TIA

Regards Arie