[plug] OSIA questions Gartner claim on Linux and piracy

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Fri Oct 1 21:33:41 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 21:25, Kai wrote:
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/01/1096527925322.html
>
> I think there are some good points in this, like:
> "We have a better product at a cheaper price and Microsoft can't compete
> except by blaming us for piracy"

Well I'd actually like to argue that i've actually turned against
software piracy since moving to Linux. I want people to respect the GPL
so I respect commercial software licenses. If you want something for
free use GPL (or other free license) software if you want the commercial
app then pay for it. If I need a commercial app I will buy it if its
good value for money. If the price is ridiculous I'll either go without
or use an open source replacement.

People don't HAVE to pirate software anymore they have a choice. For
instance you can't say I had no choice but to pirate MS Office because
I'm broke because you could have used OpenOffice.org.