[plug] OSIA questions Gartner claim on Linux and piracy

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 10:25:07 WST 2004

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:33:41 +0800, Chris Caston <caston at arach.net.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 21:25, Kai wrote:
> > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/01/1096527925322.html
> >
> > I think there are some good points in this, like:
> > "We have a better product at a cheaper price and Microsoft can't compete
> > except by blaming us for piracy"
>
> Well I'd actually like to argue that i've actually turned against
> software piracy since moving to Linux. I want people to respect the GPL
> so I respect commercial software licenses. If you want something for
> free use GPL (or other free license) software if you want the commercial
> app then pay for it. If I need a commercial app I will buy it if its
> good value for money. If the price is ridiculous I'll either go without
> or use an open source replacement.
>
> People don't HAVE to pirate software anymore they have a choice. For
> instance you can't say I had no choice but to pirate MS Office because
> I'm broke because you could have used OpenOffice.org.

Same here..
I used to be quite bad in the area of pirated software. I even used to
download it "because I could" not because I needed it but just because
it was there and I (or someone I knew) "might" need it at a later
date.
The more involved I got in the Linux community the less interested I
was in sourcing pirated software.

I also take this further, as I am no longer interested in downloaded
mp3's off the net and my entire ogg/mp3 collection is made up of
albums I already own.

Viva la OSS Movement.! :-)

--
Nothing dies faster than a new idea in a closed mind.