[plug] OSIA questions Gartner claim on Linux and piracy

Alex Nordstrom alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au
Sat Oct 2 02:03:05 WST 2004

On Friday, 1 Oct 2004 21:25, Kai wrote:
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/01/1096527925322.html
>
> I think there are some good points in this, like:
> "We have a better product at a cheaper price and Microsoft can't
> compete except by blaming us for piracy"

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 2, 2004
Contact: Dr. Bruce Hisoun, The Royal Institute of Beer and Software

Study Links Microsoft to Piracy

The Royal Institute of Beer and Software today published findings of
honest-to-God-serious research among drinking buddies, other
acquaintances, and a bloke named Bob, showing that 90 to 95 % of all
computers running Microsoft(R) Windows(TM) exhibit a higher incidence
of piracy (also known as terrorism) than did systems running Gnu/Linux.

Apart from older Windows systems being used as a platform for piracy of
newer Windows software, as is expected to be the case with the
low-cost, scaled-back edition of its OS, dubbed Windows XP Starter
Edition, the study shows that any Windows system is likely to harbour a
number of pirated third-party applications, including Adobe Photoshop,
Winzip, and a number of games.

Hence, the study concludes, the link between Microsoft Windows and
robbery and murder on the high seas has been firmly established. The
Institute called upon hardware vendors to immediately cut their ties
with the software giant and stop prepackaging the piracy-enabling
platform in the interest of disassociating themselves with such
atrocities inspired by the popular operating system.

About the Royal Institute of Beer and Software

The Royal Institute of Beer and Software has been the leading hired goon
of research and dodgy analysis in the global IT industry for over 70
years. Our goal is to support enterprises as they drive innovation and
growth by buying media attention. We help clients make informed
technology and business decisions by providing in-depth analysis and
exactly the opinions they want to hear on virtually all aspects of
technology and beer.

###

--
Alex Nordstrom