[plug] OSIA questions Gartner claim on Linux and piracy

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Sat Oct 2 13:00:50 WST 2004

Senectus . wrote:

>On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:33:41 +0800, Chris Caston <caston at arach.net.au> wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 21:25, Kai wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/01/1096527925322.html
>>>
>>>I think there are some good points in this, like:
>>>"We have a better product at a cheaper price and Microsoft can't compete
>>>except by blaming us for piracy"
>>>

>>Well I'd actually like to argue that i've actually turned against
>>software piracy since moving to Linux. I want people to respect the GPL
>>so I respect commercial software licenses. If you want something for
>>free use GPL (or other free license) software if you want the commercial
>>app then pay for it. If I need a commercial app I will buy it if its
>>good value for money. If the price is ridiculous I'll either go without
>>or use an open source replacement.
>>
>>People don't HAVE to pirate software anymore they have a choice. For
>>instance you can't say I had no choice but to pirate MS Office because
>>I'm broke because you could have used OpenOffice.org.
>>

>Same here..
>I used to be quite bad in the area of pirated software. I even used to
>download it "because I could" not because I needed it but just because
>it was there and I (or someone I knew) "might" need it at a later
>date.
>The more involved I got in the Linux community the less interested I
>was in sourcing pirated software.
>
>I also take this further, as I am no longer interested in downloaded
>mp3's off the net and my entire ogg/mp3 collection is made up of
>albums I already own.
>
>Viva la OSS Movement.! :-)

I third this. If this is really something that is having an impact on
many software piraters then maybe someone should write about the good
Open Source is doing for cutting down pirating. I am yet to rid my self
from my music collection but am working on it by working and buying CDs
and ripping them.
I have managed to get rid of Windows (pirated,) and other Microsoft
products, (I never bought anything since Win3.1 cause I could easyly get
it from others) and I am doing with out many Macromedia products. I am
now a lot better at HTML, CSS, PHP... due to my move.
Tim

p.s. Senectus, do you really want the extra reply to?