[plug] Music Box - network issues

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Sat Oct 2 14:19:12 WST 2004

I have an old P133 serving as a music jukebox in my room. All the music
it plays comes off the server (my main workstation) over NFS. I
currently have problems where the music is stutturing every few seconds
and it appers to happen due to a network lag. i.e. each pause
corrisponds with a packet contain the next x bytes of the music. Is
there some way to get it to 'copy' the entire file before it starts
playing it? I am only using madplay and mpg321. I have priotised nfsd on
the server to see if it improves but no luck. The server CPU is only
averaging 10% usage.
Tim

Server = Debian testing/unstable, 100Mbs
Client = Debian Stable, 10Mbs
Communicating over NFS on quite network