[plug] Compiling Kernel for Another Machine (Debian)

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Fri Oct 8 12:59:08 WST 2004

Hi Tim

> What is the easyest way to compile the kernel on my workstation with
> modules for another computer?

Do it the "debian way" - apt-get install kernel-package

then change to your kernel source directory and

make menuconfig
make-kpkg kernel_image

This will build you a nice neat little .deb file that contains your kernel
and modules (etc) so you can just copy that to your server and "dpkg -i"
to install it.

> [1] A security recomondation on a site said not to have tools on a box
> that doesn't need them, e.g. no compiler on a server. Is this worth it?
> Not that the server doesn't have a compiler because of that rather I
> have never needed it to

Hogwash I say! :)

If you are running Linux on intel, there's a thousand machines a potential
cracker could use to compile the rootkit tools etc then copy to your
machine.

Even if it is not, if they are really determined they'll install their
own compiler and toolchain.

 - Matt