[plug] Compiling Kernel for Another Machine (Debian)

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Fri Oct 8 11:56:01 WST 2004

I have finally decided to upgrade the kernel on my testing server to
2.6.6 the same as my workstation.
What is the easyest way to compile the kernel on my workstation with
modules for another computer? I know that there is an Output directoty
on the make command that I need to change depending on which computer
I'm compiling for. e.g. 'make O=/home/tim/workstation menuconfig' and
'make O=/home/tim/server menuconfig' but I don't know how to do this for
modules as I obviously can't just do a 'make O=/home/tim/server
modules_install' on the workstation as that won't help the server. I
can't compile it on the server as it is slow, limited on disk space and
doesn't contain a compiler[1]
Thanks
Tim

[1] A security recomondation on a site said not to have tools on a box
that doesn't need them, e.g. no compiler on a server. Is this worth it?
Not that the server doesn't have a compiler because of that rather I
have never needed it to