[plug] Apt-get g++

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Oct 12 17:35:50 WST 2004

Tim White wrote:
> I am performing an `apt-get install g++`
> Unfortunately it wants to REMOVE modutils which I don't think is very
> good. Is it possible that these are replaced by another package or is it
> some weird conflict doing bad things.

Try doing:

apt-get update
apt-get --show-upgraded upgrade
apt-get --show-upgraded dist-upgrade

first. Read the output carefully to make sure it's going to do what you
want.

Also, if you're fiddling with apt priorities (I note you're mixing woody
and sarge), that can occasionally cause serious weirdness.

I'm no Debian expert, but have found that an upgrade then a dist-upgrade
often resolve bizarre dependency resolution by apt. In your case, as
you're mixing sarge and woody, that may have a greater impact than you
may desire however.

--
Craig Ringer