[plug] APT proxy/gateway/cache

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Oct 13 10:24:38 WST 2004

Harry wrote:

> > I am looking for a method of using apt-get on all the machines with out
> > the nusance of download the Packages files every few days on ALL the
> > machines and with out duplicate downloads.
>
> I think deb-mirror is probably what you need to look at Tim.

Nuh-uh.  You don't want to maintain a Debian mirror over dial-up.  For
a mirror of sarge+sid updated daily, you'd be looking at 30--300mb per
day.  At ~18mb/hour you'd spend all the day downloading debs :-)
Debmirror is just a marginally cleverer version of the rsync script
that you use.

When I was on dial-up I used to use apt-move to maintain a partial
mirror from my apt cache, which essentially automates the process that
you described above of using dpkg-scanpackages.  apt-proxy, apt-cacher
and the like are probably more like what you want (although I've never
used them).

Cameron.