[plug] rpm's for diff platforms?

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 12:13:15 WST 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:31:27 -0400, bwarff <bwarff at obsidian.com.au> wrote:
> fyi: this problem is why building from source is so popular under linux,
> because then the package 'links' against the libs found on your machine,
> and you know it will work fine....
>
> source rpm's therefore should be a safer bet than binary ones,
> unless you are aware of the various critical dependencies (kernel,libc and desktop)

So a source rpm will compile and install from scratch for me will it?
I gather it will still want me to bring down the dependencies for the
source as well.. so the theory is that non-source rpm's may not link
to my lib's (dependencies) because my distro has them in different
places?
Does that mean that if I bring down a different distro's rpm of say
"libbonoboui" it may install it even though my this distro may already
have it, just that its stored somewhere else?

Sounds a little weak to me.. I guess thats why they call it dependence-hell :-P

--
Nothing dies faster than a new idea in a closed mind.