[plug] Cheap ADSL plans

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Wed Oct 13 16:56:51 WST 2004

> I'm just so blown away with these prices.  I'm paying $100/month for dial-up
> (admittedly with 6 static IPs).  Time for me to upgrade my server then change
> over to adsl (if the phone lines in our apartments can handle it).  What is
> 'better' as far as speed goes?  1500/256 or 512/512?  Sorry, I've been living
> in the dark ages too long, I'm far from a full bottle on this.

Depends on whether you want to upload data, use something like
BitTorrent, or run any sort of server where other people want to
download stuff from your site. (Well well well, I've come up with 3 ways
of saying the same thing...) I'm guessing with 6 static IPs this might
be the case, but I guess you might just have a set of Internet gaming
machines where NAT don't work (:

1500/256 is still pretty quick on the upstream tho. 1.5Mbps downloads
sounds very very fast to this li'l ol' dialup boy.

Greg.