[plug] Preferred mail scanning system?

Craig Foster fostware at westnet.com.au
Wed Oct 13 23:14:26 WST 2004

<snip>

> 	- can quarantine attachments with select file extensions
> 	- can quarantine attachments with select MIME types
> 	- doesn't send out "virus detected" mail
> 	- can pass messages on to a virus scanner then a spam filter
> 	- can quarantine messages _before_ passing to the virus scanner

<snip>

> So ... any suggestions? Recommendations or horror stories?

Apt-get install messagewall
And assp.sourceforge.net

Messagewall proxies the SMTP, and gives a 50x for messages that fail:-
Reverse DNS
Valid Reverse MX
Block Lists
Words in body
Words in headers
Viruses
MIME type
Or any combination of the above... all with a scoring system similar in
method to spamassassin.

ASSP is a perl SMTP proxy that bayesian filters mail and gives the usual
is_spam at hostname and is_not_spam at hostname, whitelisting, manual editing,
ability to import a saved mailbox file to spam or ham, admin web interface,
etc. It can get a little CPU heavy during the spam scoring cronjob though.

While people hate having SMTP proxies, but if something goes pear shaped,
it's simple to change a port number and work out what's happening without
affecting everyone else.

> Once I've decided on what I'm going to use and have it all
> set up I'll let you folks know how it goes and how it all
> fits together.

It'd be much appreciated, as the scoring cronjob in ASSP has gone 99%CPU for
a couple of hours on machines that don't get a lot of mail. The heavy ones
seem to be OK though. Hmmph!

> --
> Craig Ringer

CraigF